Thursday, August 28, 2008

Leavenworth, or Bust!

As I mentioned in my last post, I was able to go on two vacations this summer. . .in a one week period! It was a busy week, but I had an absolute blast. Of course, as you might have guessed, I took an overabundance of pictures on these various adventures, and I thought it might be fun to share some pictures with you all, as well.

The first part of the week was spent in Leavenworth, Washington with my mom and grandmother, who was visiting from Missouri.

Leavenworth is a small Bavarian village nestled amongst the mountains of central Washington. It is north of George, Washington (yes, that is a town!). It's about 4 hours away from CdA, so it was a decent drive. We arrived in town and promptly checked into our hotel room which featured a cute little teddy bear sitting on the bed. I immediately fell in love with said teddy bear, and being quite tired I promptly fell asleep on the bed.
Yes, I adopted a bear from the hotel as a Leavenworth souvenir. :-)

We did a little bit of shopping on the first day, but not too much -- we wanted to save some for the next day! See, Leavenworth is full of stores to shop in. . .and so it was great fun! Eventually we saw all of the stores on the main street in this cute little town. There were some interesting stores! One store was a nutcracker store. . .and boy were there a lot of nutcrackers!


We did a lot of window shopping, eventually buying a few things. We ate some interesting cuisine, and I tried Italian gelato for the first time. It was really, really good. I tried blueberry and pink guava. Yum!

On Tuesday evening we put on some warmer clothes, grabbed our blankets, and headed into the hills to watch an outdoor production of The Sound of Music. The show was excellent, with the cast singing from the hills as was appropriate to the story. The music was, of course, amazing, and the play was well acted and produced. They performed to a full house, even though there was a sprinkling of rain during the second half of the performance!

Do, a deer, a female deer.
Re, a drop of golden sun.
Me, a name I call myself.
Fa, a long, long way to run!
So, a needle pulling thread.
La, a note to follow So.
Te, a drink with jam and bread. . .
. . .and that will bring us back to Do!

It was a fun trip, and I was grateful for the chance to spend time with my mom and my grandmother. I think we all enjoyed the time away! :-)
On the way home we stopped at the Liberty Orchards factory to find out how Aplets and Cotlets are made. Aplets and Cotlets are basically a version of Turkish Delight. The process was pretty cool to watch!!!

Leavenworth is a beautiful town, and my pictures could not begin to do it justice. . .I enjoyed going there and seeing the town!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!