Sunday, August 22, 2010

Things I Love: Thrift Stores & Skirts


As most of you who know me probably know, I am a big fan of thrift store shopping. In fact, I would venture so far as to say that 90% of my wardrobe has come from thrift stores, or has been given to me secondhand. I don't know, I just usually find that you can get good quality clothes at a good price at thrift stores, so my mom and I enjoy going almost every weekend.

This weekend I took some friends thrift store shopping to introduce them to the fun. My friend Sarah is also a big thrift store shopper, so she and I had fun watching our friends Kristy & Michelle discover how much fun it is. We all found something fun.

While out, we decided to have lunch at Sonic because it is kind of a treat when we venture to the next town over. While we were enjoying our 99-cent hamburgers (which totally trump hamburgers off of other fast food value menus, at a much better price), tots with cheese (I never had tater tots as a kid but love them now!) and cherry limeade (a Sonic favorite), the friendly carhops rolled around on their roller skates to offer customers samples of a limeaid creme slushy. We, of course, accepted a sample and had fun drinking our little slushy out of the miniature plastic cup. And it was quite tasty.

I mentioned that we all found some treasures on our outing. I only found two things this time, but I am quite pleased with what I found.

First up. . .a mint green knee-length corduroy skirt by Bass. I have no idea what this would cost new at the store, but I can almost guarantee it is more than the $2.99 I paid at Goodwill.

This is me wearing the skirt. I couldn't take a full-length picture since the flash would look funny in my mirror, so you just get the skirt and my shoes. :) These shoes work but what I would really like to find to make this outfit more winter friendly (as well as more stylish and more fun) is a pair of tall black leather boots. Like, almost knee-high boots. I saw some at a thrift store this weekend and should've looked at them more closely. What do you think? I also think that some cream colored ribbed tights could be cute with this outfit. I'm trying to think of ways to make it winter friendly, because corduroy is pretty fall/winterish. And I find skirts awfully not-so-fun in the winter because my legs get cold.

My other find. A purple Columbia fleece. I did not have a fleece jacket for winter, and had been wanting one, so when I saw this one I knew it would be perfect. On the Columbia website, they have similar fleece jackets anywhere from $35 to $60-something. I paid only $3.75. Yes!


Yep, I'm pretty pleased with my finds. :)

As a side note, I think I need to stop looking in the skirt section at thrift stores. The green corduroy skirt brings me to a grand total of 22 skirts in my closet. Not including my floor-length formal skirt, and not including any of my dresses. Plus not including any skirts in my winter clothes boxes (I can think of at least one). I already knew I had a shoe fetish. I think I have a skirt fetish, too. :)


EDIT (08/23/10) - When I woke up this morning and realized I needed to take the dogs on their walk and it was only 51-degrees outside, I decided to wear my new purple fleece. I am pleased to report that it kept me quite warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!