Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Review: Praying For Your Future Husband


Like most girls, I would like to, someday, get married. And also like most girls, I sometimes stop and wonder who my future husband is, what he is like, and where he is at that exact moment. So when I saw the book Praying For Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart For His by Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer available for review, I figured it would be something worth my while to read.

I remember, even as a young child, praying that God would be with my future husband, wherever he may be, and keep him safe. But that was about the extent of those prayers. Of course, when you are young, you aren’t really too concerned with who you are going to end up marrying when you are old, anyway. At least I wasn’t. But as you get older, you start to think about it more. And you start to care more about the type of person you will someday pledge the rest of your life to. And that is where this book comes in.

Throughout the book, Robin and Tricia not only share personal stories about their own lives and their own relationships with their husbands, but they devote each chapter to a different trait that you should pray for in a future husband as well as traits you should pray for in yourself so that you will be ready for Prince Charming when he comes along. For example, Chapter 4 talks about praying for patience. When it seems like it is taking forever for Mr. Perfectly Imperfect to show up on your doorstep, pray for patience to wait for God’s perfect timing and His perfect guy for you. In addition, pray that he will have patience to wait for you as well. This is just one example of a topic that the book discusses. And with 13 chapters in the book, I assure you there are more little gems.

One of the coolest things I found in this book is that they gave a list at the end of the book of 52 scriptures to pray for your future husband – one per week, for a year. I think this is a great idea.

I did feel like this book was geared more towards the high school/young college-age crowd, but as a single girl in her mid-20s that is waiting on her future husband, I did still find it to be a good read and worth my while. I would recommend it to other girls in the same situation as well.

I received this book for review from Waterbrook Multnomah as part of their Blogging for Books program. I was required to give an honest, and not necessarily positive, review. Thanks, WBM for the opportunity to read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!