Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book Review: Touching The Sky (Tracie Peterson)


I recently had the opportunity to read “Touching the Sky,” which is Book 2 in Tracie Peterson’s Land of the Lone Star series. The story takes place at the conclusion of the Civil War, in Corpus Christi, Texas….an area that is divided between supporters of the North and supporters of the South. The daughter of a staunch Union supporter, Laura Marquardt finds herself in contact with Captain Brandon Reid. Captain Reid is an officer over the colored troops. Their initial meeting is hardly what one might dream of for a first meeting – Captain Reid encounters Laura in an alleyway and believes that she is being detained by his troops, which results in a misunderstanding that must be resolved.

Laura’s sister Carissa marries her beau, a Confederate soldier who, as it turns out, has ulterior motives in his pursuit of Carissa. This leads to drama amongst the family and amongst Carissa and her new husband. Meanwhile, Laura and Brandon are left to sort out what is going on between them and they must work through some obstacles that are thrown their way.

I enjoyed this book – I loved the time period it was set in, and I felt I really got to know the characters. The story was engaging and really drew me in. Of course it also didn’t hurt any that the protagonist and I share a name! I’m eager for the opportunity to read the next book in this series. I have no doubt that Ms. Peterson will deliver, once again.

Thank you to Bethany House Publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!