Saturday, December 11, 2010

12 in 12 Challenge: Recipe 10 - Oreo Cheesecake

About a week ago I went to a mystery dinner at a friend's house. It was a potluck and I was assigned to bring a dessert. Since I knew the event was to be a little bit "nicer" than your average potluck, I wanted to make something super special. I decided it would be fun to tackle a cheesecake. Now, mind you, I had never before made a cheesecake. I had no idea what was involved, but I knew it couldn't be too hard. So I set out to find a recipe. I started my search at www.copykat.com, which is a website with copycat recipes for restaurant foods. I found a recipe for the Cheesecake Factory's Oreo Cheesecake, and I must say this cheesecake is a winner!!!


Cheesecake Factory Oreo Cheescake


Crust:
1-1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs (about 20-23 cookies, finely chopped)
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Filling:
1-1/2 lb. cream cheese
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup flour
8 oz. sour cream
5 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped, for the batter
10 coarsely chopped Oreo cookies for the top of the cheesecake

You Will Also Need:
9" Springform pan, buttered on bottoms and sides

Directions:


**CRUST**
Mix melted butter with Oreo crumbs and press into springform pan, covering the bottom and 1-1/2" up the sides (Note: I did not have enough crust to go up the sides). Set aside.

**FILLING**
All ingredients need to be at room temperature before beginning. Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep mixer on a low setting during the mixing and beating process. Add sugar gradually and continue beating cream cheese until mixed through. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat until blended. Measure the vanilla, salt, and flour, pour into cream cheese and egg mixture and beat until smooth. Add the sour cream and beat well. Turn off the mixer and stir in the coarsely chopped Oreo cookies with a spoon.

Pour cream cheese into the springform pan and place the remaining coarsely chopped Oreo cookies on top of the cream mixture. Place pan on the top rack and in the middle of a preheated oven at 325-degrees, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. When the time is up, prop the oven door open and let the cheesecake stay in the oven for one hour. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let cool enough to place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. It is worth the anticipation. A cheesecake should season. The flavor ripens and becomes enriched.


Original Recipe
---------------------------
Yum, yum, yum! Everyone who tried this cheesecake at the party thought it was delicious. I am hooked on making cheesecakes and am even planning to make a different flavor/recipe for tomorrow night's dessert as my aunt and uncle will be joining us for dinner. Stay tuned to hear how that one turns out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!