Thursday, March 10, 2011

Book Review: The Inheritance of Beauty (Nicole Seitz)


I recently read "The Inheritance of Beauty" by Nicole Seitz. After I selected this book to review, I read some reviews that others have written and saw several reviews saying that this is a book you will not be able to put down. However, I will honestly admit that I had a hard time getting into this book. 

This book took place from the perspectives of about 4 different people: Maggie Black, her husband George, their childhood friend Joe Stackhouse, and the kind nurse, Annie. Maggie, George and Joe had known each other as children, and through different circumstances found themselves at the same retirement home in their later years. We mostly hear from Maggie and George. Maggie is now unable to talk, so her parts of the story are from her perspective as a child, with a few instances of what is going through her brain in her later years. George's perspective is mostly the present day, later years of his life, perspective. I think what I found hard to get into with this book is the fact that it jumps from person to person, their life as a young person to their life as an older person, etc.

As far as the storyline, we learn that Maggie grew up in the South Carolina lowcountry, spending her days with her beloved brother, Ash, and her best friend, George (who she later married). Life was easy. Life was carefree. Life was fun. Until one day when a stranger and his son rolled into town. Things seemed great as little Joe Stackhouse played with Maggie, Ash and George. But one day everything changed. Secrets were uncovered, and Maggie's innocent little world would never be the same.  Eighty years later, in a nursing home, Maggie and George are living a contented life. Life is good. Until one day with a large mysterious package arrives, and old wounds are opened and answers to secrets revealed.

While I cannot give this book as high of a recommendation as I would like, due to the fact that I had a hard time getting into it, I'm sure not everyone will have as hard of a time getting into the story as I did, and once you do get into the story, it is an interesting story to read.

*Thank you very much to Thomas Nelson/BookSneeze for providing me with a complimentary review copy of this book. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!