Saturday, March 14, 2009

March Update

Happy March!

I don't know about all of you, but I am having a very hard time believing that it is mid-March already! It seems like it was just Christmas, and now we are almost 1/4 of the way to next Christmas! Where is the time going?

I am now 50-days (and counting!) away from graduating with a BS in Communication Arts from Lewis-Clark State College. Yes, I am totally excited, and yes, I am a bit scared about what comes after graduation.

I'm not going to lie. . .I am starting to think that I actually will miss school. Who knows, maybe I'll be adventurous and go back for a Master's someday. . .but not for awhile. I think school has just been a part of me for so long (since I was 5!) that it is going to be weird not having it. Oh well, I'm sure I'll have no trouble adjusting to the lack of homework. :-) More time for reading, right? Maybe.

But I am not scared about the lack of homework (trust me, that is not something I'm scared about in the least!). . .rather, I am scared about where life could take me after graduating. Maybe "scared" is a strong word. . .but I think there is a little fear there in the back of my mind. I mean, there is so much expected of a college graduate. . .you're supposed to get a job, start a career in your chosen field, and make something of yourself. And in this day and age it's a bit difficult to do that. So I guess we'll see where post-college life takes me. I would love to get a journalism job or something similar. . .but if I don't, oh well. :-) Who knows. . .maybe God has bigger and better plans for me. Only time will tell.

Yes, I, like most people, have dreams of where I would like to be 10 years from now, or 5 years from now, even 2 years from now. Will I meet all of those goals? Accomplish all of those dreams? Probably not. But a girl can dream, right? :-) And like I said. . .only time will tell. . .and 10, 5 or even 2 years from now I'll keep you posted and let you know how many of those dreams have come true. :-) Gosh, I am already about to meet one of my goals in, oh, 50 days! :-P

There are other adjustments that will have to be made in post-college life. For example, when aforementioned "dream job" comes along (or "not-so-dream-but-communications-related job") comes along, that will mean leaving my job at the bakery, where I have spent more hours than I care to calculate over the past almost-3 years. The memories I have made during my time at Great Harvest, as well as the friendships with my amazing co-workers, will forever be unforgettable and it is my deepest hope that the friendships I have with some of my co-workers-turned-friends will not die, but will rather grow even stronger. I suppose, again, time will tell. . .but that is my hope, and I will try my hardest to make sure that happens. :-)

As far as school now is concerned. . .I am excited to say that my senior research project is coming along nicely. Thanks to all of you who are on Facebook who took the online version of my survey (I don't know who you are, but you do!). I appreciate it. I am working on getting the data ready to analyze and then I will meet with someone who will help me analyze it and eventually I will finish my (rather long) research paper. For those who don't know, I have been accepted to present my senior research project at the Northwest Communication Associaton's 2009 Conference in early April. It's a bit nerve-wracking knowing that I will be presenting my paper alongside graduate students and a few professors of communication, but it is also an honor to be accepted and I am, in a way, looking forward to it. There are three others from my class who will be presenting as well, and I am sure we will have fun listening to each other's presentations and spending the weekend together. :-)

I also have to put together a powerpoint for when I have to present my senior project at the 2009 LCSC-Cd'A Senior Research Symposium at the end of April. It's a pretty formal all-day event with seniors from four different divisions presenting their projects, and I am nervous (although excited) about it as well.

Last (but not least!) I am in the process of putting together a portfolio that I will be able to use when I am done with school to, supposedly, persuade a potential employer that I am the best candidate. I have a beautiful portfolio binder (thanks to an amazing friend of mine -- you know who you are) in which I am including a variety of different things, such as papers from college, certificates, letters of recommendation, etc., and I am eager to see how it turns out. :-)

I also want to apologize for the lack of blog entries lately. I really do enjoy updating my blog, but with school and, well, hanging out with friends, the time to update the blog is lacking, as is the inspiration at times. :-) I am sure I'll have more inspiration soon, however, and definitely once I am done with school. :-)

So. . .until my next update. . .have a wonderful March. . .and Happy St. Patrick's Day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!